Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Please check my wheel and tire homework

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Hartz
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Please check my wheel and tire homework

I’ve been spending untold hours over the past couple weeks researching wheels and tires for my BRG/W MCS. I banged up one of my webspokes and figure this is an opportunity to make the move to non-runflats and lighter wheels. I’d like the collective powers that be here to check my homework and tell me if I’m off course in any of my thinking. Any thoughts or opinions are most welcome.

Background: This car is a daily driver, but I do have a dedicated set of snow wheels and tires. I don’t foresee any frequent autocross or track days. This is primarily targeted to “spirited commuting” if you will. Some accommodation to aesthetics is required. Sure it makes me a wuss around the track guys, but I’ll get over it. So I’m sticking with 17’s. Also, the lovely Mrs. Hartz is not a fan of 5 spoke or colored (black, dark gray, bronze) wheels. We’re talking primarily tones of silver paint or machined/polished metal here. Although I do think white would also look snazzy with the roof and mirrors.

OK – to the good stuff.

Tires: P215/45/17. I’ll trade the responsiveness of the 40 series for the extra pot hole protection of the 45s. Again – the track guys can snicker all they want - I’m secure in my manhood.

Right now it’s a tie between the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s and the Kumho Ecsta MX. Both have gotten great reviews. Complaints on the Goodyears tend towards the sidewalls being soft. The only complaint I’ve read about the Kuhmos is that they aren’t Yoko Advan Neovas.

The Kumhos are cheaper, so the tie goes to that runner for the time being.

A distant third would be the Bridgestone Potenza RE750. They tend to get lower ratings and they’re more expensive than either of the tires. That rules them out for the time being.

Wheels: Man this is hard. So many choices! I change my mind often. Here are today’s thoughts:

1) SSR Comps. Pros: Classic styling; I love the polished lip; nice light weight. Cons: Some complaints about them being soft on pot holes; aggressive offset; Of course I like them - they’re the most expensive of any wheels I am currently considering!

2) Wedssports TC005. Pros: Unique – you don’t see too many of them on MINIs. Nice light weight. Cons: I wonder if they’ll grow old style-wise in 5-10 years?

3) OZ Ultraleggeras. Pros: Nice combination of low weight and good looks; I’ve had great success with OZs on other cars. Cons: Does the world need ANOTHER MINI with these wheels? It seems you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a set. Likely hard to clean from the looks of them, as well. Plus I may always look at them and think, “They’re not the Forgiatas.”

4) Kosei K1 TS: Pros: Racy look; the dork in me thinks the dual valve stems are cool; again, great low weight. Cons: Aesthetically, I’m not a fan of generic, multi-use bolt patterns. The extra bolt holes will bother me.

5) Gram Light 57s: Pros: Nice simple styling; Good offset. Cons: Heavy for a wheel with “Light” in the name. Also pricey by the time you add in the center sections.

6) OZ Superturismo GT/WRC: Pros: I can’t help it, I like the style - I really do. Cons: My wife, however, is not a fan of the styling. Heaviest of the lot.

Well, if you’ve made it this far reading my ramblings – thank you. Any thoughts appreciated. Tell me where my thinking is wrong, or what I’ve over looked. If you’ve got pictures – that’s always helpful for visualization purposes. Spring is coming and I can’t be seen on a dinged up webspoke – help me spend my money wisely!

Thanks!

Hartz

Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hell i switched to 16's for the whole pot hole thing . if you go to tire rack you'll get all usable size combos. the 205 16 50's handle!!!! my wheels are light konigs (holes) very cheap . they're perfect for not caring . and they're only about 15 lbs. make sure you buy a tire repair kit from mini mania . just like the beemer guys.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
ss96dcm
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, me too!!!

I was browsing around and read your stuff... looks like you are looking for the same (size at least) as I.

A couple of things to include in your homework:
- check out the car&driver testing performed (it is on the tire rack under test results for the goodyear or the kuhmo). it add more to your already complicated decision. In short, goodyear was rated #1 and the kuhmo was rated #11 (out of 11) based on multiple factors, including price. check out the report... good reading. It may not sway depending on your requirements.
- check out www.centerlinewheels.com "deals" section... if weight and price are more important than looks... they may have something for you. I did some research and found about a 50/50 satisfaction rate in this forums. some have never had problems, some have had centerlines crack. For $129 each in a 17x7 15lbs wheel... I'll give them a try. My second choice was the Kosei K1-TS... at $199.

hope this helps,
-alfredo

Old 02-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Hartz
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Car and Driver article was interesting - thanks for the link. Certainly not in line with the ratings found on the Tire Rack website. Maybe the Goodyears will be worth the extra $$$? OK- great, now you've cost me an extra $150 so far. Thanks!

I didn't think some of those Centerline wheels looked bad. Not sure why the comment about asethetics not mattering? Those looked nice. Worth considering. Thanks.