Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Thoughts on pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:55 AM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on pads

Hey guys,

It's time for a brake change, and that means time to upgrade. I'm pretty much decided on what I'm going to get:

-> EBC Red
-> DOT 5.1+ stuff (ATE or Motul)
-> Goodridge Stainless lines (irrelevant...I want them for pressure constancy and associated pedal feel)

Before I do go out and purchase this stuff, I'd like to get your thoughts on the choice of the EBC Red. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that nearly any brake pads for the Mini will lock up the tires/wheels I'm using, so bite and friction are not the question here. I was wondering if y'all could recommend anything better if this car will be used nearly all the time street - aggressive as I may drive.

My reasons for going with the Red in the first place are several. Low dust (easy maintainence), high temp (for the occaisional track day), long life (again, mostly street use...no need to be replacing them all the time). But again, if there is something more appropriate out there I'd love for you guys to point it out.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Afterthought...these pads have the notch for the sensor, correct? Hafta cover all my bases.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:23 AM
RedOut
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Verve,
I recently did a similar brake upgrade, went with the ferodo ds2500 for a few reasons:

1. less compressible pad material (could be important to you as you are looking for a firm pedal with the lines)

2. great at any temp, cold to hot.

3. been driving on them for 2-3 weeks, have had only several instances of brake squeal (just use brake quiet when you install)

4. has wear sensor notches front and rear

5. less dust than stock

6. they STOP like right now, this was my main concern as the stockers weren't up to locking up my BFG G-force sport 225/50/15's

The only minus was price, I was cross shopping these with pagid 4-2-2's so it didn't seem that bad and plus raceshopper.com was good to me. Some things to consider about the ebc stuff is that you are looking at a different type of pad, one that wears the pad to get friction, this is why they are easy on rotors. The ferodo is a more adhesion type of pad that also wears the rotors a bit. I have heard horror stories of the RedStuff only lasting 10,000 miles in some applications. I have also generally heard from some friends who are track junkies that all ebc pads are a no go. This was mostly on hevier cars though, and I have heard that they have come under new ownership recently and changed their pad formulations for the better, but I'm still wary as brakes are important to me. You also might want to consider hawk hp+ for a pad that is squeally but performs similar to the ds 2500 for much cheaper. Also, I have heard that the caliper bushing upgrade kits are great for feel, cost about the same as lines and install easy. Just some food for thought.

Oh, and I don't know about the wear sensor in the ebc's but my guess would be yes and its not that important anyway.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:06 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
I had looked at both the Ferodo and Hawk...Hawk was actually my second pick should the EBC get bad feedback.

The Ferodo's, like you mentioned, are a bit pricey for my tastes. Even if the squealing can be taken care of, price still sets those above and beyond what I think I need to pay for my uses.

My primary concerns like I said are the wear, dust, and temperature characteristics. Would you say then that the Hawk stuff might be better than the EBC?

- Matt

Old 02-24-2007, 01:34 PM
RedOut
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can live with dust and noise, hp+ is great, if not hps is a popular choice with less on track performance, and both at a very affordable price.
I would say that hawk is much more performance oriented than ebc and probably a better choice for track work.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want the lower dust aspect the Hawk Ceramic is a good lower dust solution.

HP+ is an agressive pad for the street, and may wear your rotors until its warm.

Alex

Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 AM
trevers
Neutral
Some more opinions.

I had Ferrodo DS2500s on my car last summer. They lasted 2 track days and 10k miles of commuting. They also RUINED a set of wheels. I have never had a set of pads dust so bad! The dust is embedded in the paint on the wheels. This was after the first track day. Whoever said that Ferrodo's are low dust is crazy. Oh and the Ferrodo's also ground right though a new set of rotors.

That being said... I loved the feel of the Ferrodos. Instant on and great modulation. Never faded a bit at the track.

For the winter I switched to Mintex Red Box. Now those are some low dust pads. So this summer I might go with the Mintex 1144s for track use.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm liking my Hawk Ceramics

They're interesting - the DO still make dust (at least mine do...) - but it's not the same black dust you get from the stock pads - it's more "bronze" colored - which isn't obvious on the wheels until you either get a LOT of it accumulated, or you swipe a bit off and leave a "mark" in it...

Mine stop fine (better than stock I think) are quiet, and much cleaner looking...