Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

T -one hour 30 minutes (plus metal or plastic hub rings)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 12:14 PM
redrocket
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T -one hour 30 minutes (plus metal or plastic hub rings)

just dropped the car off to get its new shoes put on. I was going to do it myself, but my dad was terribly against it, and the car needed an alignment anyways, plus a shop can put them on much quicker than i could so its all good

only thing im a bit worried with is the hub centric rings. i told the guy they were there and they had to be placed on, but i never trust anyone either than myself. If somehow one or more were failed to be put on id feel an "out of balance" feel within the wheels before tis to late,r ight?

also i was a little dissapointed the hub centric rings i have are plastic since i know a lot of heat get generated from the brakes, etc. which can lead to them melting down how does everyone feel about that, im i worrying to much since im going to be doign mostly street driving or should i still worry.

i figure next time i have the wheels rotated i can get metal rings placed in and the plastics taken out if theres unanimous agreement that metal hub rings are better no matter the conditions

-greg

Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thought on the hub rings is if you do some high speed track days then the plastic ones "might" be a problem. Many of the better quality ones are made of a very hard high temp product.

I would ask that the shop pull off a wheel of your choosing to verify the ring was installed. Then maybe even pull off the other 3 when you get home.

I never trust these wheel shops to swap my wheels. I have 3 sets and I will swap them myself very quickly and have the wheels properly torqued. Too many of these shops will hammer the lugs on with an air gun and over-torque the wheels.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:48 PM
redrocket
4th Gear
well one thing that did bring me a little comfort is i talked to the owner and not a random employee. i figure the owner will pay more attention to getting the rings on as he has more reason to not want the bad rap of failing to properly pull off an installation under his belt, but i still am going to ask for them to pull one off to show me.

and yeah i plan on retorquing the lug bolts, because like many shops they use an airgun. Though when they patched a flat for me last time (which they took the wheel off for to try to find the puncture) they werent really that overtorqued. Like of all teh places to go to (with the exception of my friends dads tire shop who i know would make sure im in good hands, but its quite a drive) i def feel ill be in pretty good hands

thanks for the feedback scottinbend

Old 02-24-2007, 01:00 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Not a problem. Glad I could help.

Sounds like you got a handle on things.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:33 PM
redrocket
4th Gear
well they got on two days ago, but after driving today and having an out of balance feeling of the wheel tugging i went back to get them balanced, even though edge racing claims tires mounted on wheels come balanced. well the wheels were a little off balance, but two of the tires were defective and causing "jumping"

basically i have to get edgeracing to send me two new falken fk452'a that are hopefully not defective, and hopefully they will pay for the mounting and rebalancing charges since i was recommended not to drive on these tires. This sucks for two reasons, one im sure as much of a pain as itll be for me itll be one for edgeracing so im sure itll be a haslle for me to ocnvince them to send me two new tires and pay for the extra fees, and two itll probably be another week until i seriously get to drive my car

oh well :(

Old 02-26-2007, 05:08 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by redrocket
just dropped the car off to get its new shoes put on. I was going to do it myself, but my dad was terribly against it, and the car needed an alignment anyways, plus a shop can put them on much quicker than i could so its all good

only thing im a bit worried with is the hub centric rings. i told the guy they were there and they had to be placed on, but i never trust anyone either than myself. If somehow one or more were failed to be put on id feel an "out of balance" feel within the wheels before tis to late,r ight?

also i was a little dissapointed the hub centric rings i have are plastic since i know a lot of heat get generated from the brakes, etc. which can lead to them melting down how does everyone feel about that, im i worrying to much since im going to be doign mostly street driving or should i still worry.

i figure next time i have the wheels rotated i can get metal rings placed in and the plastics taken out if theres unanimous agreement that metal hub rings are better no matter the conditions

-greg

okay about this-- you get new wheels just to find out they didn't put on any hub rings (so the wheel is held into place solely by the lugs); you call back the shop and they say "oh- those don't need hub rings (then tells me what hub rings do)", blah blah.

still, i'm better of than you and don't mean to jack the thread- just thought that was a eerie concidence since this was just this last weekend.

:i:

Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
redrocket
4th Gear
nah its cool to jack.

so how did you solve the problem?

just to add last night i got confirmation that all four rings were installed on my car when i found out the fact that two of my tires are defected when they took the tires off