Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Pleased, yet disappointed in my new tires and wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pleased, yet disappointed in my new tires and wheels...

I went from 17" s-Lites w/all-season runflats to 16" ASAs with Dunlop all-season Assymetricals. The ride is spectacular, and it amazes me how much better the car takes a bump.

But I am very disappointed in the handling. I just can't corner like I used to. This morning, I tried to take a corner like I used to, and the car just skidded with my foot on the accelerator. I feel like I'm driving a Honda. It's just "mushy" - that's the best word I can use to describe it. Just not as crisp.

But, I was expecting a bit of that. Going with higher profile tires and not as stiff of a sidewall. But at least the rims have a lesser chance of getting bent when I hit the unavoidable pothole around here.

MAJOR thumbsup for Tirerack. They are so great to work with...

Old 03-05-2007, 07:52 AM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the problem stems from the fact that you went from 1st gen runflats with fairly hard sidewalls to regular radials. To me, runflats corner better because they have more resistance to turn in of the sidewall, but that has been my experience.

On Saturday I replaced my 1st gen Dunlop SP5000 DSST runflats (16"size) with 2nd generation Goodyear Excellence RunOnFlat technology 16"tires (Take offs from a new R56 MCS) and oh boy, the car now rides and handles LIKE A DREAM!

The difference in ride, noise levels and comfort between 1st and 2nd generation runflats is like night and day. My new Goodyear Excellence runflats feel as good or better than regular non-runflat radials. Absolutely incredible. No wonder Tirerack sells these Excellence runflats for $212 a tire!

I got lucky and paid $450 for a new set of take offs with just 40 miles on them. Wooohoo!!!!

Also let your tires "settle in"for at least 300 miles. You need to observe break-in recommendations whenever you install a new set of rubber.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is probably your problem..

Originally Posted by C4
Also let your tires "settle in"for at least 300 miles. You need to observe break-in recommendations whenever you install a new set of rubber.
New tires are somewhat slippery. You do need to break them in to get to good traction.

Also there are two things that compete that aren't the same. Turn-in and traction limits can be effected differently. You can have a tire that feels softer in turn in from the softer tire will but that has better traction due to the rubber compound.

Matt