Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Getting new wheels/Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting new wheels/Brake Dust

I'm thinking of getting some ASA R1's since I really like the look. However, I'm thinking they would be a pain to keep clean. I've been reading that waxing the wheels would help. Is there something else I can do before putting them on?

Cheers!

Old 03-05-2007, 04:02 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Rossii
I'm thinking of getting some ASA R1's since I really like the look. However, I'm thinking they would be a pain to keep clean. I've been reading that waxing the wheels would help. Is there something else I can do before putting them on?

Cheers!
ASA R1 is which finish?
Silver with Machined lip
Black with Machined lip
Chrome plated

Probably the finish to worry the most about would be the Chrome plated. Corosion can occur and ruin and pit the chrome- you must keep it clean.
I have seen chrome get messed up in less than a year if you don't regularly clean the brake dust off.

Waxing the wheels only helps a little. Wheelwax is supposed to help but it doesn't last. Smells good.

Changing brake pads to something that gives less brake dust is probably the best thing you can do especially for the front brakes. Mintex Redbox and EBC Green pads are common choices. Both have less dust than stock pads and perform OK for street use. The Mintex pads are half as costly as the EBC greens.

Keep your wheels clean about once weekly is OK but over time the finish will be beat up and dull. Takes about 2 to 3 years.

Black would be easy to neglect and still look OK but you have to clean it now and then.

The R1's spoke pattern is not the most friendly but it's OK. Some people use a brush wheel cleaner with a handle that seems to work.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have BBS RGFs which are similar design, and found that changing pads to Hawk ceramics (Mintex Red Box would work as well) really cut down on the brake dust. For cleaning, I use a brush made for the purpose (I think mine came from Griot's). I like to actually use a second, small bucket of the same wash solution & water, dedicated for the wheels - don't want to get the brake dust & other grime onto the wash mit that you use on the rest of the car. With a light coat of synthetic wax/glaze occasionally, the brush and soapy solution cleans my wheels just fine, even w/o a spray-on wheel cleaner.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minihune
ASA R1 is which finish?
Silver with Machined lip
Black with Machined lip
Chrome plated

Probably the finish to worry the most about would be the Chrome plated. Corosion can occur and ruin and pit the chrome- you must keep it clean.
I have seen chrome get messed up in less than a year if you don't regularly clean the brake dust off.

Waxing the wheels only helps a little. Wheelwax is supposed to help but it doesn't last. Smells good.

Changing brake pads to something that gives less brake dust is probably the best thing you can do especially for the front brakes. Mintex Redbox and EBC Green pads are common choices. Both have less dust than stock pads and perform OK for street use. The Mintex pads are half as costly as the EBC greens.

Keep your wheels clean about once weekly is OK but over time the finish will be beat up and dull. Takes about 2 to 3 years.

Black would be easy to neglect and still look OK but you have to clean it now and then.

The R1's spoke pattern is not the most friendly but it's OK. Some people use a brush wheel cleaner with a handle that seems to work.
I was thinking of the Silver w/machined lip. Black was a thought but the silver looks much better to me. I currently wash my stock wheels once a week but even then its hard keeping them clean. I think new brake pads are my best bet. Thanks for the info