Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

SO CRUSHED! Damage done to a wheel pre-installation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:38 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading the responses and giving it more thought, I am 100% positive that the damage was done at the dealership who put the tires on.

I have sent them an email with copies of the pictures. I doubt anything will come of it, but I wanted them to be aware that they have a dishonest service person who damaged the wheel and said nothing.

Still, the only person I have to be mad at is myself.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 AM
C4
Banned
Good luck and hope you get the problem sorted.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:47 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kazlot
Looking at your posted pictures it appears that the damage, scratch or gouge, radiates from the lug bolt hole. If that is a good assessment of the damage I would think it was caused by an installer dropping or letting the impact gun slide down the wheel.

It's very hard to tell the extent of the damage but, to me, it would be worth discussing it with the shop that installed the wheels.

I don't believe that it was damage from shipping as that would have been on the edge of the rim or the face of the spokes.

By the way, The Panasports do not fit the JCW brakes so I like you will most likely go with the ASA wheels as I like the look of them better than the Miniltes.

Hope this helps...
Thanks, Kaz! It does help. And you will get the ASAs lickity split from TR, and they will be less expensive! Good call! I will say that they are so much nicer looking than I even could have imagined. I love them. Except for the one that is all scratched up.

On another thought - I hope I did not offend Alex at TireRack. I certainly wasn't insinuating that it was TireRack's fault. I truly believe it was not. I was just looking for some guidance. I haven't gotten a response back, and he is usually so quick. Alex, if you're reading this, I'm sorry! ;-)

Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 AM
C4
Banned
I also sent off an email to Alex on Monday and no response yet. I think he may be off on vacation.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WannaMini_
Still, the only person I have to be mad at is myself.
Don't be too hard on yourself. It's a hard lesson you've learned & you are now a smarter MINI owner for it.

You do realize that you are the only person who will ever notice those scratches? Your car is still beautiful.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:26 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
WannaMini,
Sometimes we just forget, get distracted, or have bigger fish to fry. Things like that have happened to me although I tend to be meticulous and hard nosed in negotiations. Once or twice I had a migraine so I didn't double check something. Other times there was some other thing averting my attention.
Billie

Old 03-07-2007, 11:03 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I have sent them an email with copies of the pictures. I doubt anything will come of it, but I wanted them to be aware that they have a dishonest service person who damaged the wheel and said nothing.
Do not rely on email to get your message across. An email is too easy to ignore, and Internet technology doesn't even guarantee that it reaches its destination. Maybe if you have the direct e-mail address of the service manager, but expect nothing if it is the generic e-mail of the dealer or service department. At the very least you should send hardcopy snail mail to the service manager and the head person of the dealership.

You are dealing here with a car dealership, not exactly a type of business known for honesty and eagerness to give good service. You seem to have a non-confrontational style. I do too, but in this case I'm afraid that it will take some stepping out a bit beyond the usual level of comfort.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:50 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
You seem to have a non-confrontational style.
Man, are you a psychiatrist!? Yes, in fact, I am a very non-confrontational, pleaser, accomodater personality. I want everyone to be happy with me all the time. I hate confrontation.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:57 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
For anyone interested, the latest chapter in the mystery of the damaged wheel...

Like I mentioned before, I emailed the service department yesterday, and I actually got a return message last night. (BTW, this is Classic MINI/BMW in Mentor. My experience with them up to this point has been A+). This is what I said. Probably a bit harsh, but here goes:

For any Service Manager at BMW/MINI Service:

I am so crushed. I had wheels and tires delivered from TireRack to your location to have them put on the car last Thursday, March 1. I cleaned my wheels for the first time, and I noticed some MAJOR gouges on one of the wheels. I am 100% positive that I did not curb the wheel, and the pictures reflect that. It's obvious that it's not a stone chip either. In fact, it looks like some tool made the marks. Some friends of mine on NAM suggested it looks exactly like an impact wrench slip did the damage.

I know I should have inspected it close at the dealership where I had the wheels put on, but alas I did not. Live and learn. I wrongly assumed that the wheels would be in perfect condition since they were brand new and I was dealing with professionals all around. But I wanted you to know that one of your service people did the damage to the wheel and said nothing. Perhaps thought, "Maybe she won't notice."
Here's the response I got the same day:

Thank you for your communication of March 7, 2007.

I’m sorry to hear that one of your wheels is damaged on your MINI. I want you to know that we took great care in handling your wheels and car while it was in for service. We inspected the wheel for shipping damage from the Tire Rack, used a rubber coated socket to put the wheels on with and checked them again after the installation. I’m told all 4 wheels were in excellent condition at the conclusion of the service.

Your technician has always been honest with me in the past, and as I don’t penalize employees for damage, they have no reason not to tell me if any damage was done. In fact your technician has been upset all afternoon at the damage allegation and the having his integrity questioned.

I have to believe the damage to your wheel happened sometime after your service was completed. Still, I would be glad to attempt to polish out the marks to make it a little less noticeable for you at no charge if you’re interested.

Please call me with any further comments or questions.

Thanks again for making me aware of this situation and allowing me to respond,
Any comments? I tend to be a bit too trustworthy, so do you think it's all good? Was my letter to him too harsh?

Old 03-08-2007, 05:26 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
given the situation, their offer to look at it and try to buff things out is more than fair. Heck, at the very worst, order a new wheel and ask them to do the swap at no charge (and keep the extra for a spare in case you do curb or bend one). You'll be out a few bucks, but you'll have to decide if that is worse than the scratches.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:29 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
given the situation, their offer to look at it and try to buff things out is more than fair.
Yep, I agree fully. I just wish they weren't over an hour away.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The response from the dealer sounds on the up-and-up, and their offer to try and buff out the scratches is a noble one. I'd take them up on their offer if I was in your position. As for ordering an extra wheel, I have now come to the conclusion that I should order a fifth wheel to hold onto as a spare. In the case of my SSR Comps, they are essentially useless to me since one has been damaged and no new ones are available. This Monday, I trashed a wheel(Kazera)/tire on my other car in a nasty pothole. I'm still waiting for Alex to answer his email for that one. Should that wheel be unobtainable, I can look forward to throwing out three perfectly good ones. Again.

Yep, I agree fully. I just wish they weren't over an hour away.
Look at it this way. It's an hour of motoring. It's gotta be good.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Golsco
2nd Gear
I tend to be very trustworthy myself. I would be very pleased if my dealer sent me that message. My last dealer would have said my fault, case closed.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree, that's a pretty good response from the dealer. If the mechanic didn't own up to his mistake that's pretty much it.

I'd let them try & clear those marks up for you. Never know it may work. Worst case scenario buy another wheel & have it mounted at no cost by the dealer. If you do watch them like a hawk.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:26 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Turns out that the service tech who did the work on the car is a NAM member!!! He must have seen this post, and he sent me a VERY nice PM. Assured me that he even uses new gloves each time he puts new wheels on as not to damage the finish. He does use an impact wrench, but he uses rubber protectors.

I believe him fully. He is a stand-up guy. He said even though he didn't do the damage, he was still willing to split the bill for a new wheel or to have the existing one fixed.

GREAT responses from Classic MINI, and great customer service as always...

Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ah, it was Classic MINI? Hell, they are 'automatically' stand-up guys there. I'd trust what they'd tell me. I've gotten lots of parts from them.

How did it all pan out? Were they able to fix up the damage?

Old 03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think wannamini went my route and got a new wheel and tire.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:01 PM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Yep - Classic alright. I'm so lucky to have them nearby. From the time I first went looking at them, I have had nothing but great experiences there.

Well, I think I will just get another wheel and tire. I would feel bad about taking advantage of Classic by having them buff the wheel for free. I think for the meantime, I may just try to live with it. I will see....

Although, I could have them try, and have them put on the new tire & wheel? hmmmm.....

Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
C4
Banned
On their offer, take them up. Annoyed you will get looking at that scratch day in and day out. Less nothing accept! Afraid, do not be!