Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

WHAT'S UP WITH MY TIRES???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Mini Estate
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT'S UP WITH MY TIRES???!!!

HELLO AND PLEASE HELP...

I JUST PURCHASED SOME BRAND NEW "TAKE OFF" WHEELS AND TIRES OFF A 2006 MINI FOR MY 2004. THE WHEELS AND TIRES APPEARED TO BE PERFECT, THE 17 INCH S LITES TO BE SURE. MY PROBLEM IS WITH THE 'GOODYEAR EAGLE RS-A 205/45R17 RUNFLATS'!!! THEY WERE ALREADY MOUNTED AND BALANCED WITH 35 PSI. IN EACH TIRE. THEY ONLY HAD TO BE SWAPPED OUT OFF THE CAR, AND I WATCHED THROUGH A GLASS WINDOW AS THAT WAS DONE. I REQUESTED EXTRA CARE BE TAKEN, AS THESE WHEELS AND TIRES ARE NEW!!! OK, HERE'S THE PROBLEM... SHORTLY AFTER THEY WERE PUT ON THE CAR, I NOTICED A BULGE IN ONE OF THE SIDEWALLS! I THOUGHT I WAS SEEING THINGS! NOW THE BULGE HAS DOUBLED ITSELF IN SIZE AND LOCATION, AND I HAVE DISCOVERED ANOTHER SMALL BULGE IN A DIFFERENT TIRE!!! NOW I DON"T TRUST ANY OF THEM. THE DEALER SAID THAT THIS IS COMMON IF YOU HIT A POTHOLE WITH RUNFLATS? THING IS, I HAVEN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO ANYTHING LIKE THAT, PLUS I RAN MY LAST RUNFLATS, (DUNLOP 9000's), FOR 24,000 miles W/OUT A SINGLE PROBLEM. PLEASE HELP. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ANY SIMILIAR PROBLEM WITH THEIR GOODYEAR EAGLE RS-A'S???
THANKS SO MUCH! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AT minisrcheeky@hotmail.com OR LEAVE A POSTING HERE. THANKS AGAIN!

MINIS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MINI ESTATE AKA. RICK T.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I got a bulge in one of my RSAs, but only after hitting a horrific pothole on the freeway at night. It did fine for the rest of the 800 mile trip home, and for several thousand miles after that.
Sorry to hear about the troubles.

Oh, and please stop YELLING (caps lock off) TIA.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 AM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some thoughts:
1. perhaps the tires were driven into a curb or pothole in the past and the little bit of mileage you have put on them is just enough to cause the damage to show

2. there was a time when welts and bulges would commonly show on steel belt radial side walls that had not been damaged