Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wheel Spacers and Studs

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 07:02 AM
minimort
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel Spacers and Studs

Right now I'm running on 15" holeys with the stock Conti all seasons. I'm looking to get a better stance and widen things out a bit, so I am thinking about getting some wheel spacers.

My question is, how wide can I go, spacer wise, before I need to change from the stock bolts? If I go 8mm with the spacers, what size bolt-conversion would I need to go with at this time?

Also, I'm planning on switching to some new rims, 15x7 et40, and need everything to be able to work with these too, as I'm sure would be no problem.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-11-2007, 08:23 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by minimort
Right now I'm running on 15" holeys with the stock Conti all seasons. I'm looking to get a better stance and widen things out a bit, so I am thinking about getting some wheel spacers.

My question is, how wide can I go, spacer wise, before I need to change from the stock bolts? If I go 8mm with the spacers, what size bolt-conversion would I need to go with at this time?

Also, I'm planning on switching to some new rims, 15x7 et40, and need everything to be able to work with these too, as I'm sure would be no problem.

Thanks in advance!

Better stance and wider track?

Probably spacers would not be the best way although it is possible.

Best is the wider rims so 15x7 is OK. et 40 is going to be close to rubbing depending on your tires and your suspension upgrades. Sometimes tires with larger outer diameter or some rear swaybars can rub. If you use 205/50-15 tires you will have clearance. It's tougher with 225/50-15.

Spacers with the 15x7 rims would push the tires out beyond the fenders. Small tires will clear the wheel wells but normal sized or larger tires will rub or you will need severe rear camber or do wheel arch flaring or trimming.

Anytime spacers are added you have to ensure that the bolts or studs are long enough to thread 6 turns at least into the rotor. Bolts are what come on the stock MINI while studs are added and then nuts (open or closed) are used to fasten on the wheels.

I always think of simplicity as being the best policy. Normally spacers are used to allow for a little extra clearance so that a wheel can fit for a rim that is extra wide or has an offset that is a little too positive. There really is a very limited amount of space for MINI wheels/tires.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:10 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will need 8mm longer studs.