Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Nurburgring & brake questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:52 PM
plkdb
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nurburgring & brake questions.

Ok one of my buddies from work is planning a trip to the Nurburgring next month. I`ve been wanting to go since I saw Top Gear go there about 2 years ago. I was wondering if anyone else has been, and what they thought?

Also, I bought a set of front and rear EBC green stuff brake pads. Looking at installing them possibly with te stainless steel braided brake lines and caliper bushing kit. My questions are, should I switch to a different brake fluid, and will these be enough on stock rotors, or am I going to have to worry a lot about brake fade.

Still on the fence about going. Wife cant get the time off from work (too short notice, schedule is already out), and I hate spending that much money to go without being able to go with her. I was told 1000 not including hotel, but my buddy has a friend that lives 30 min from the track. So, if I can get cheap food from the base, along with a tank or two of gas, fill up on base before I leave, wondering how much I can cut that down to by living off of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:30 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on the miles, new fluid is a good idea. Older than 3 years or about 30k miles, yes. Which reminds me, I need to do mine. If the rotors look hammered, then new ones should be done. Brembo blanks and GreenStuff work very well for me on the street. If you are just going to experience the Ring, then you may be able to get away with factory stuff. If you wanna push it, then def. do the switch. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 PM
91Eunos
4th Gear
I'm heading there sometime in April w/ the folks from Shafer BMW/Mini here in K-Town. I'm just going to do stock pads/rotors for the first trip and see how they do. Only mods will be A0-48s on hub-centric 16 x 6.5" SSRs (the special sets they made for Minis) and fresh fluids all around (Mobil 1 in the engine, Redline in the tranny and Motul DOT 600 in the brake lines).

I''ll bring an extra 5-gallon jug or 2 of super plus (93 octane) along w/ some octane booster and will probably bring coupons for refills at the nearest Esso...

I'll likely need new pads after the first day!

Where are you coming in from? Driving I take it?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:06 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Eunos
I'm heading there sometime in April w/ the folks from Shafer BMW/Mini here in K-Town.
K-Town ! I sure do miss that place. I have been to The Ring a couple of times and missed my chance to go and take my 3-series when I lived in Italy. Quite a few of us on here have been. You'll have a blast. Just dont wreck since insurance WILL NOT cover damage caused on a "track". At least most wont. $1000 to go is like living on Ramen noodles. Good luck with that one.....

Old 03-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Also keep in mind that you'll only be able to get gas on-post with a USAREUR/USAFE Registration/plates Not sure where you're coming from, but wanted to be sure you knew ahead of time
I know a few guys from the UK who are hardcore Ring-junkies and they'll usually park and give the brakes time to cool after every 2-3 laps depending on conditions. These guys also drive RS4's, GT3's etc
It'll also probably be to your benefit to check out Ben Lovejoy's site (if you haven't already) http://www.nurburgring.org/

Just remember,
1: Don't worry about timing your laps, it seems that most of the folks who get themselves in trouble on the Ring are trying to beat the clock.
2: Better driver's than you or me have been beaten by the "grüne Hölle" so have fun, but most of all, be safe (And watch out for the bikes )

Old 03-14-2007, 02:11 PM
91Eunos
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Drillslinger
...It'll also probably be to your benefit to check out Ben Lovejoy's site (if you haven't already) http://www.nurburgring.org/ ...
Awesomeo...thanks!

Are you CE?