Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

EuroTuner's last big tire test-

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:28 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EuroTuner's last big tire test-

Always informative. Turner Motorsports (who won the Koni Challenge at the 24H of Daytona earlier this year, and know tires) did all the hard (fun) work.

Without further ado:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 1st overall "best tire so far."
Pirelli P-Zero Rosso: best wet braking
Yokohama Advan Neova AD-07: best dry tire

Overall
Goodyear F1 GS-D3
Yokohama Neova AD-07
Pirelli P-Zero Rosso
Bridgestone POtenza RE050A
Fuzion ZRi (best budget choice)
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Continental ContiSport Contact 2
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Falken Azeni RT-615
Toyo Proxes T1R
Hankook Ventus S1 evo K107
Vredenstein Ultrac
BFG g-Forde T/A KD
Kumho Ecsta MX

Goodyear was 1st in Wet Lap, Wet Slalom, Wet Skidpad, adn 5th in wet braking. "Excelent in the wet, and above average in the dry."

BFG: the plague!
Dry:
"not the best, no bite after turn-in, good but not memorable"
"Doesn't go away as it gets hot" (.02: and doesn't get better)

Wet:
"These sucked"
"Bottom of the list for outright traction and braking"
"slides are hard to get back under control"
"No grip and no braking"
"Couldn't get on the power"
"Didn't like the trasnfer from braking to turn-in, and you had to be very gentle with them."

The data are a year old, but no newer overall testing by such an esteemed group is yet available for newer models/compounds.

Hope this helps some of you who are sprucing up for summer, the Dragon, or other twisities!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for posting. I am very happy with my Goodyears. Granted, I'm comparing them to my runflats, but I'm still happy.

I bought them specifically because they do so well in the wet (better than all-season Goodyears in Car & Driver's dry/wet/snow test). It doesn't rain much in southern California, of course, but I like to know my tires are more than capable of handling it when the road gets wet.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
What year was this article done in? All I could find was one back in 2005 ?

Old 03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
Is this article available on the web?

Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
November 2005 article, and then C&D did one about 2m later.

http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticle..._buyers_guide/

Nearly 20 pages with all the details. There haven't been any updates since then, and few tire model changes. I suspect a Spring test sequence this year. So, latest "all in one" data.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:56 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
These results have been repeated in other tests as well; I think the point is that the F1's are really superior tires for what they were testing.

Personally, I love mine, and I've always said they're the best tires I've ever bought.

mb

Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 AM
rubyred3
4th Gear
seems like they put a lot more emphasis on wet handling than I would have if I were running that test. To me, wet performance does NOT equal half of the importance of a tire's handling, as I don't push the car hard in the rain. The goodyear did well in the dry braking, but in all other dry handling tests, it wasn't even in the top 4. Not saying its a bad tire by any means, just seems like a strange weighting they applied to the test results, as to me, dry handling represents 75% or more of what matters to me in a performance tire, wet grip need only be adequate. The numbers on the last page are a lot more interesting to me than their composite score from all those individual tests. From reading that, I want some Advan Neovas!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:13 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
All depends on where you live, to me wet handling is paramount, I'll sacrifice some hair splitting on the dry performance

Old 03-14-2007, 09:03 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
I concur. I go for all around performance, and I do NOT avoid the rain. Good wet performance = more safety if I'm called upon to perform an emergency maneuver in the rain. Nuff said.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:28 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
Thanks for the link! Good read.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 AM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Living in dry New Mexico I would not consider the Goodyear. While good in the wet, it's only mid-pack in the dry. On the other hand, the AD07 is excellent in the dry--first place--and so so in the wet. As noted, I might take a different view if I lived in Washington state. But even in wet places there is a lot of time spent on dry roads. Everyone has to decide based on how they see things, but in New Mexico it's an easy call for the Yoks, especially if you drive on the track or in autox events. We have a street tire class here, and the Yok seems a nearly ideal choice for it. I hope so, because that is where I plan to play.

Joe s

Old 03-23-2007, 05:00 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Compromise should focus on your reality or paradigm. The test gave us all the info we need to make an informed choice, both from a performance and budget perspective. Good to hear you found the right choice.

I drive the TT daily, rain or shine, and in occasional ice or snow (even in GA). I need a great all-around, and will choose accordingly. I purposefully challenge places like the Tail of the Dragon several times a year. It rains, fogs, and shines there, sometimes all in the same day! This report helped me choose, and I trust it will anyone who seeks good tires.

It shouldn't be used to say 'my tire is the best'. No such animal exists. Each tire design is crafted to meet certain specifications. Consumers get more choices, and reports like these help us solve budget and performance issues.

Safe driving!