Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Upgraded Oem brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgraded Oem brakes...

This has probobly been discussed many times and i tried to use the search... but alas I'm at work and don't have the time to sift through the pages of results...

I've currently got about 31k on my oem brakes and pads. I'm not sure what the average milage is and i haven't looked in my service manual to see what happens to the brakes in service two but...

what kind of milage do you get out of stock pads and rotors?

secondly... I live about 1.5 hours away from the dragon so i tend to do some spirited driving that would be akin to autocross or track sessions on a weekly basis.

I don't pound my brakes overly hard as i'm not looking to brake lap records but they get used up quite a bit and get quite hot.

I'm looking to either upgrade the oem rotors, pads, bushings, lines and fluid or go with a bbk... what do you guys think my best option is for cost/performance on the street 95% of hte time and autox/track 5% of the time.

And if upgrading the oem stuff is my best option for this... can i buy the parts piecemeal or should i just get them all at once from some one like dt.

I'm more then willing to do the work myself and as i said i should and will be doing my own research... but i'm just feeling the waters for now... being a worthless forum sponge instead of doing my own legwork...

thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:35 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
bah work is boring so i started sifting :P

any way im thinking about these bushings
http://www.tyrolsport.com/mini.htm

next up is pads, lines, and rotors i guess...

i'll keep looking

Old 03-15-2007, 09:43 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with Hawk HPS pads, Powerslot rotors, Trysol bushings, and ATE Superblue fluid. I track a few times a year as well as abuse the Dragon and have been very happy with the setup.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:48 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
thanks for the input... you get much fade on the tail end of a dragon run? I'm not looking to revolutionize the braking industry for 500 bux... lol but as long as it's consistant and safe...that's what im looking for.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:48 AM
PredMini
3rd Gear
I'm kinda leaning in the same direction. I'm @ 23k and starting to get a little squeal from my pads. My thought is EBC GreenStuffs or Hawk HPS pads, SS lines, Super Blue fluid, and bushings. Then get new rotors with the next set of pads, or go full BBK at that time. For these purchases, parts are parts and I'd go with the best $. Shouldn't matter if you get them from different suppliers, other than taking shipping $ into account. Might be cheaper just to go with one supplier when you add in the shipping.

SumWon - How's the dusting on the HPS pads?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by SumWon
I went with Hawk HPS pads, Powerslot rotors, Trysol bushings, and ATE Superblue fluid. I track a few times a year as well as abuse the Dragon and have been very happy with the setup.
Excellent choice, I was going to say the same thing because I’m doing this before the Dragon. The only difference is I’m also installing a Detroit Tuned BBK which includes all of the above along with larger rotors and pads.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by PredMini
SumWon - How's the dusting on the HPS pads?
I have the Hawk HPS on my MCS now and I find I have very little dust and I have white wheels. Of course a few laps on the Dragon shows a lot.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:54 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by prime-drk-
thanks for the input... you get much fade on the tail end of a dragon run? I'm not looking to revolutionize the braking industry for 500 bux... lol but as long as it's consistant and safe...that's what im looking for.
I wouldn't say fade is eliminated, but I have been very happy with them for the cost. The powerslots are coated and after the first couple of good heat cycles the coating starts to melt off and look like solder collecting inside the wheels. A bit odd. I love the Hawk pads. I had Miltex Red Box before and these are MUCH better street pads. If you are going to hit it hard, you might consider the HPS+ pad.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:56 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I go with Hawk HPS pads, and Motul RBF 600 fluid. Still stock lines. No bushing stiffener doo-dads.

ATE Super Blue was not enough for the tracks I run at, so I had to move up a notch.

The Hawk HPS pads are good, I can use them for daily driving year round and they hold up pretty well on the track. But I'll probably try something different next time.

The way I'd attack the problem is:

If the brake pedal stays firm, but the car doesn't want to stop (and you get that wonderful hot brake smell) - you need better pads or better brake cooling. But there's no good solution to the brake cooling problem, so pads it is.

If the pedal gets soft, you need better brake fluid.

If you aren't bleeding your brakes after each time they get "too hot" - don't buy anything! Bleed your brakes! :D

Old 03-15-2007, 03:26 PM
plkdb
3rd Gear
I bought from Detroit Tuned, the bushing kit, braided brake line kit, and a piece to shorten my shifter throws. The customer service seems very good so far. They were out of the paint I ordered as well, but they emailed me right away to see if I wanted it put on back order, or go ahead and ship the order. I also got a set of front and rear EBC green stuff brake pads. Probably going to stick with stock rotors for now, but may upgrade to slotted and drilled before it all gets in. Had to order the caliper compressor from Harbor Freight, but they were 40 versus 200 from mini mania. I`ll let you know how it does when it all gets here. (May do the rotors because Harbor Freight screwed me and mailed the stuff 4th class parcel post!?!)

Also going to upgrade to a DOT 4 when the lines get in.

Last edited by plkdb; 03-15-2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Forgot