Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

Heidelberg to Catalonia

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 02:57 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heidelberg to Catalonia

So Monday the 16 of June I left Heidelberg Germany for Llorett De Mar Spain, or as the locals like to say "CATALONIA"
We packed up Fast Freddie for a 5 day trip consisting of 1200 Kilometers one way, sorry people I have lived here to long and dont remember my miles
Leaving at 6pm I figured on about a 12 hr drive. We pulled out onto the A5 towards Basel, in Fast Freddie fashion immediately staked claim to the far Left lane of the Unlimited German Autobahn....149mph all the way to France. As we get to the border of Germany and France Im taken back as to how deserted the area is, its an open border nobody coming or going, just Us. The border crossing buildings are older and dilapidated, reminesent from times past...a much darker past.
So All that hurry to France was for not. The speed limit was 130 kilometers and France was Very much the bulk of my driving time about 795 kilometers of the total 1200 I cant see ANYTHING, its pitch dark, the Xenons barely light the way in this torrential down pour and there is French people driving big semis/lorries everywhere, I am the absolute ONLY automobile on the road. I opened up my second Monster energy drink....sugar free of course, and I can feel the BP and HR raise (medical terms) WOOOO Im amped.
We took A36 to A9 and a few streets in between, there is SO MANY TOLLS IN FRANCE..... WE PAID about 65 euros 1 way Oh and sorry if this offends anyone, but I now know what country has the highest percentage of very bad drivers..... FRANCE, READ,,, not all....but MOST are the most absurd, lazy, and reckless, blind and unskilled people on the motorway. But thats a different story.
My Navigon 7000 keeps warning me of speed cameras and traffic in the cities up ahead, I try speeding, but OMG there is cameras seemingly every 500 meters. Funny thing is theres a posted sign before the camera SO IF YOU GET the ticket you really do deserve it. We pull over because my vision is blurry and tired. The motor inn is not accepting anymore check-ins, I return to my car a fold back the seat as far as it'd go. I could not sleep NO matter HOW TIRED I was. All I could think about was that I am near the spain France border in a MINI S with a big UNION JACK on the roof and White American style euro plates that say USA. All I was thinking was bad thoughts about falling asleep and getting into contact with some traveling terrorist. Ya I know, but these people dont like Americans and they are everywhere. I tried the whole sleep with one eye open, it didnt work.
After a hour of tossin an turning I bought a coffee and decided to reduce the speed to 110 kilometers and drive the remaining 315kilometers.
at 0726 on the 17 of june we arrived in Llorett de Mar. The motel was a wondeful sight, more so than my Mediterranean view. Check in went EARLY and we took the free breakfast buffet. I was so tired I felt like I was hungover, much like my early 20s. The motel was the SURF MAR and I wasnt expecting much from it at all. What I got was a Tremendous bargin and for the money I feel the best place in Lorett de mar, right on the beach, and cheap.
Looking out my balcony I view what keeps me coming back time an time again...the Sea, the tan people (women), the fresh seafood, the Mediterranean way of life, and happiness...
One thing Id like to mention was how much attention Fast Freddie recieved. I had the only R56 S in the neighborhood. Everyone stopped to look at Him and take pictures... "which was odd," People with Porsche's and Ferrari's absolutely Loved my car. I spent more time talking to them it seems than snorkling the sea. The more I drive the more I appreciate what BMW MINI has offered me, A chance to make driving a joy. All is good.

PS...............As for the ending, Fast Freddie got us home safe and sound, He received a reward of a double wash and a hand wax and his 25K service.. He's taken me all over Europe about 25,000 kilometers worth. Whats Next? maybe Portugal.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:45 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a great trip!

Old 07-03-2008, 04:03 AM
zouzouetmoi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice trip...and I'm not jealous at all (ya, right).

Uh, not that I would have ever visited, but is the Bier und Bretzel next to Hotel Zum Ritter on Hauptstrasse still there? Teenage army brats, bleh.

Last edited by zouzouetmoi; 07-03-2008 at 04:14 AM. Reason: ;)
Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zouzouetmoi
Nice trip...and I'm not jealous at all (ya, right).

Uh, not that I would have ever visited, but is the Bier und Bretzel next to Hotel Zum Ritter on Hauptstrasse still there? Teenage army brats, bleh.
Ill have to look for ya, Its amazing...since everything is so old here in europe you really have to look hard to find new things! Its so unlike America where cities grow rapidily and noticeably