Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

RI to Tucson In 3 Days. Mini and Cat Survive

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 AM
MrMoto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RI to Tucson In 3 Days. Mini and Cat Survive

Hi Folks,
I don't post often, but I do enjoy the site.
Heres a little blurb on my drive out west to start the rest of my life.
Talk about a good way to break in a new mini JCW and add some road wear

It has taken a month plus for things to start coming back into focus. Being in your 60's sure ain't the new 30's

On Thursday morning Sept 30, 2010 I loaded up my Mini Copper with what it could hold leaving enough room for Bub the cat and hit the road for a marathon drive to Tucson.

The first leg of about 30 hours got us to Shamrock Texas just over the OK line on I40. Except for a speeding ticket in IN on I70 at midnight just shy of the IL line I was styling. Bub's meowing morphed into language some where in MO. It was good to have some one to talk to!

After crashing in Shamrock, TX for about 10 hours we hit the road again at about 4 AM on Saturday morning looking to make Tucson by the end of the day. After the washboard of I40 in OK the road in Texas was a relief. I was sure to keep my speed at the posted limit.

Getting into NM was great with it's 75mph speed limit and the highway was clean and green except for the first Safety Corridor where some trucker was getting written up. Those tickets are pay double. But wouldn't you know after that traffic ticked up to about 85mph and by the time we hit Albuquerque people were doing 90.

The ride down I25 was something else with folks booking along with their cruise controls on 95 and 100. I guess on I25 Safety Corridor means speed up. Folks were passing like I was a Granny on Sunday morning.

Pulled into Tucson around 3 in the afternoon on Saturday Oct 1.

Driving in on I-10 there was a thunder head over Tucson. Just an awesome grey mass in the otherwise Blue desert sky. As I drove of Houghton off of I-10 I drove through on and off showers What a great welcome to my and Bubbie's new home.

Last edited by MrMoto; 11-11-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:06 PM
TwoPly
1st Gear
Sounds like a great trip! Glad you made it safe and sound (barring the ticket ).

Any pics?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
MrMoto
1st Gear
Hi TwoPly

I kept wanting to stop for some photos, but I was to caught up in the next mile. Driving down through western Arkansas was real scenic as was western MO. Once I found a good driving position it was sitting in my living room and chilling. I had to keep reminding my self that was real life zipping by.

Thanks
Peace

Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So how is the new location working out for you?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Sounds like a fun trip although I don't know about 30 hours the first day. From Rhode Island to Shamrock, Texas is pretty good moving. Out west we generally have to go 300 to 600 miles to get from a CITY TO ANOTHER CITY, so there is notime for dawdling along at 70 -75, you need to put 85 to 90 in cruise, and be ready for the C note or more to pass the tourist or triples. Fortunately the JCW is just the machine for western roads. But I would definitely get a V1 or something similar for journeys in California and to avoid quota fillers elsewhere. That Indiana ticket would have paid for a Valentine. Anyway I hope Bud likes his new home, plenty of different critters to chase although some will put up a real fight. Good luck in Arizona.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:08 AM
MrMoto
1st Gear
nabeshin,
It's not New England, but I can see getting used to the dry air and the coyotes and tarantulas. My grandson is out here so that is a real plus.

What you said BensMini. Out this way 300 miles is like a drive from Providence to Boston, an every day deal. My life experience with cop detectors is I got a lot of tickets. So after I stopped using them 20 years ago and started watching traffic instead I stopped getting tickets. The Patrolman who pulled me over in Indiana was good. t was around midnight and he came up in traffic behind me and nailed me fair and square. He was very civil.

I think my cat is on the other end of the food chain here. The coyotes like their kitty snacks. So bubbie is hangin' inside checking out the back yard through the screen door.

My next trip is up to Bend OR to visit my Bro and check out Nevada and Idaho then down the coast. I am hopping that trip will be more laid back.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like your loving your JCW.

From where you live now you have millions of places to go and see. "PLUS" You have a great car to go in.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:06 PM
N666BK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr Moto you do motor a lot! I like marathon trips too Thinking on going your way sometimes in May then diverting to Ben's Let us know how was that Oregon trip.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 AM
MrMoto
1st Gear
Hey N666BK

As a younger one I enjoyed my time on the road. This trip was kind of reminiscent of days gone by. Being out west now looks like a cool opportunity
to do some traveling, like ronnie948 said.

I see Bayonne, NJ in info. I grew up in north Jersey .

Peace

Old 11-17-2010, 02:52 PM
cnh
1st Gear
Love the second half of the title - Mini and Cat survive! LOL...

Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM
minicoopcoop
Neutral
I don't know if I could handle a 30 hour car ride. Glad your car and cat is okay!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:19 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MrMoto, don't know if you still check in, but I just read your adventure and am impressed. How are you adjusting to life in the Southwest? I too came here from parts elsewhere (Pacific Northwet). Been here 8 years now and haven't regretted it for a minute. My cats are jealous of Bub's adventure. They got to ride in a U-haul from Washington to NM. Not near as much fun!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MrMoto, I lived in Tucson for a year and would have LOVED to have had a MINI S at the time. If you haven't done it yet, drive up Mt Lemon. That has to be a blast in a MCS! Glad you like it there, I had to get on back to the South.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:28 PM
MrMoto
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NMgokart
MrMoto, don't know if you still check in, but I just read your adventure and am impressed. How are you adjusting to life in the Southwest? I too came here from parts elsewhere (Pacific Northwet). Been here 8 years now and haven't regretted it for a minute. My cats are jealous of Bub's adventure. They got to ride in a U-haul from Washington to NM. Not near as much fun!
Hi
Bub the cat has adjusted some what to being an inside cat after spending his life in the wilds of RI. I am getting ready for my first summer here. Should be fun.
I have given up on trying to keep the dust off of my car.
I have made a couple of day excursions to Yuma and to Ajo on the Ajo highway. That is a nice drive.
Up on the Oregon/ Washington Coast it is about as wet as RI. Where a dry day is a relative humidity of 50% here in Tucson a dry day is 10% or less. Kind of nice getting dried out

Originally Posted by Melangell
MrMoto, I lived in Tucson for a year and would have LOVED to have had a MINI S at the time. If you haven't done it yet, drive up Mt Lemon. That has to be a blast in a MCS! Glad you like it there, I had to get on back to the South.
I live off Catalina Highway so Mt Lemmon is a quick hop. Those bicycle riders are something else, pedaling up the mountain and keeping out of the way of traffic. The trick is to get down the 20 plus miles of mountain without using your brakes or more importantly taking the road from a cyclist.
It is a great place to hike. Hope you are clear of those Tornadoes.

Peace