Vendor Announcements Announcments from the Sponsors of North American Motoring. New products, test results, and more.

MINIUSA Drag Car Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004 | 12:24 PM
dave
|
pug poo picker-upper
MINIUSA Drag Car Revealed

North American Motoring is happy to announce the existence of the MINIUSA Drag Car. The car was modified by the Prototype Technology Group (PTG) under the direction of Tom Milner for MINIUSA. This was a one of a kind production for PTG, which normally supports BMWUSA's highly successful motorsports program.

The following pictures are provided courtesy of MINIUSA.

Photo #1: Note the wide slick front tires and the narrow rear tires

Photo #2: If you look around the perimeter of the front window you
can see the addition of a frame to support the clear plastic window.

Photo #3: The nitrous oxide installation

Photo #4: The engine on the dyno

Photo #5: The stripped interior with the revised fuel cell

Photo #6: The nitrous bottle and our first view of the beautiful carbon fiber door panels

Photo #7: A closer shot of the nitrous bottle and the revised "toggles"

Photo #8: The revised door with carbon fiber door panel and window frame support, plastic windows, and pull chord door release. Also notice the BMW Motorsports M3 GTR's in the background.

More pictures of the MINIUSA drag car are available HERE

Some of PTG's other work

Last edited by dave; 10-27-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2004 | 01:01 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
I need to go change my pants!!!

Old 10-27-2004 | 01:13 PM
erik808
6th Gear
That's beautiful! What time/mph did they clock? Thanks, Dave

Old 10-27-2004 | 01:19 PM
dave
|
pug poo picker-upper
From what I know of it, the project was put on the back burner before the MINI Drag Car was formally raced, so that PTG could focus on the BMW Motorsports program for the 2004 season.

Old 10-27-2004 | 01:32 PM
erik808
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DiD
From what I know of it, the project was put on the back burner before the MINI Drag Car was formally raced, so that PTG could focus on the BMW Motorsports program for the 2004 season.
Thanks, Dave!

Old 10-27-2004 | 01:54 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DiD
From what I know of it, the project was put on the back burner before the MINI Drag Car was formally raced,.
Somehow that was my suspicion. Mostly because there are plenty on pics with people oogling it, but no action pics. Oh, and the stickers are still on the tires.

I can't wait 'til they get it rollin'.

Old 10-27-2004 | 02:01 PM
moonman9j9
2nd Gear
What would be your guess on a 1/4 mile time?

Old 10-27-2004 | 02:09 PM
dave
|
pug poo picker-upper
Given that PTG is tied to the BMW motorsports program and has a lot of resources available, I'm sure it would be fast. How fast remains to be seen.

My hope is that MINIUSA sees some of the response to the drag car here on NAM and rekindles the effort to campaign the car.

Old 10-27-2004 | 02:27 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Anyone notice it's really a cooper and not an S. even though it has a S "hood" everything else is cooper, bumpers and engine.

Old 10-27-2004 | 03:11 PM
LombardStreet
Originally Posted by DiD
...and pull chord door release.
Which automatically qualifies it for the "Most Retro" award for any British sports car currently in production!

Hallelujah!

It sounds like this puppy never got raced. But for those interested, if you haven't seen it already, here's an interesting database of quarter-mile times, for everything from stock MCs to NOS set-ups:

The Unofficial MINI 1/4 Mile Time Database

Old 10-27-2004 | 05:25 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by moonman9j9
What would be your guess on a 1/4 mile time?
Dunno the power-to-weight ratio, but high 12's? glad it's Chili Red :smile: J-bo

Old 10-27-2004 | 05:30 PM
germanmade
2nd Gear
What no S/C or at least a Turbine???????

Old 10-27-2004 | 07:18 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Dunno the power-to-weight ratio, but high 12's? glad it's Chili Red :smile: J-bo
It'll be significantly faster than high 12's.

-mike

Old 10-27-2004 | 07:26 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Mike did U check out the unofficial 1/4 mile time link above? although we dont know PTW perhaps a 12.8 is too conservative. Below 12? Jimbo

Old 10-27-2004 | 07:31 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Very well could be, I dunno. But I think it's gotta be more than just a few tenths of a second faster than that MCS that got a 13.07@109. If you consider this drag car probably has more power (Jeff has 258whp, nothing to scoff at, but given that the drag engine looks very modified...), and is certainly a lot lighter, I think it's gonna be a fairly big difference from Jeff.

-mike

Old 10-27-2004 | 07:55 PM
mini giant
4th Gear
it is pretty cool to see that mini usa is actually having a car in this. hopefully they will have more car in various races/circuits/competitions. never really watch drag racing,but now i have a reason to,lol

Old 10-27-2004 | 08:43 PM
TomM
2nd Gear
If I remember correctly, the motor is essentially a Cooper S engine with only minor changes. It made about the same power as a standard Cooper without nitrous (~120 hp) and was using something like a 50 shot. Everything is conservative, mainly because it makes no sense to blow up multiple times.

It weighs in the neighborhood of 1300lbs. CF Hood, Doors, Rear hatch. Lexan windows except for the windshield. Uses Sachs shocks front and rear. Custom 3pc BBS wheels. On the car in those pictures are Yokohama Formula Atlantic slicks and as you can see in one picture uses MoTeC engine management.

Unfortunatly the car broke the on the two occasions it went to the track, both times the gearbox was the trouble. The gearbox can handle the power it seems, but doesn't like the wheel hop/spin associated. It got a few passes, but each pass had tons of wheel spin on the launch so the times, which I think were in the mid 13's, don't represent fully the capability of the car. It was getting wheelspin through first and second for sure.

If you have anymore questions, or would like clarification on the car and it's guts, I can help.

Old 10-28-2004 | 06:20 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
FYI, if you live in, or find yourself in the DC area and have the time... Make a swing over to MINI/BMW of Sterling. Tom's cars are occasionally on display in the showroom.

Old 10-28-2004 | 07:45 AM
mcswrks
6th Gear
Wow! This is awsome! A mini that will finally go really fast in a straight line, and even better, murder all those tuner wacko honda civics at NOPI. I thought the day would never come-anyone have an earthly idea how much power or 1/4 mile?

Old 10-28-2004 | 07:38 PM
CharlesT
2nd Gear
Would love to see it on the NDRA circuit

It would be great to see this Mini or any Mini running the NDRA circuit. Will need a lot more WHP from reading this thread if were to be competitive but it would be great to see it happen.

Don't knock NOPI...they welcome all cars from all countries.

Old 10-28-2004 | 07:58 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
that is so not a cooper s engine. there might be some cooper s parts inside, but there is no superchager on it and that is totally a cooper intake system on that. see the alt. right in front too, right where the supercharger would be.:smile:

Old 10-29-2004 | 06:23 AM
Chayse
2nd Gear
I have to ask...Why is there no rollbar/cage in that car?!? Please don't say weight. Safety is so much more important than that.

Old 10-29-2004 | 07:43 AM
ukbyoung
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Chayse
I have to ask...Why is there no rollbar/cage in that car?!? Please don't say weight. Safety is so much more important than that.
its a drag car that will reach speeds of a little over a hundy. There is no turns involved, nothing. Rolling it would be hard. If safety is a concern the CF doors are a no-no and so are the lexan (plastic) windows. Wt is one of the most important factors in drag racing along with power (hence the PTW ratio) and wheel spin. Since the cars are not going to reach speeds of 300+ I don't think they need a roll cage nor a parachute. :smile:

B

Old 10-29-2004 | 08:17 AM
goin440
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ukbyoung
its a drag car that will reach speeds of a little over a hundy. There is no turns involved, nothing. Rolling it would be hard. If safety is a concern the CF doors are a no-no and so are the lexan (plastic) windows. Wt is one of the most important factors in drag racing along with power (hence the PTW ratio) and wheel spin. Since the cars are not going to reach speeds of 300+ I don't think they need a roll cage nor a parachute. :smile:

B
Even at speeds a little over a hundy, any abrupt stops will hurt with that harness bolted to the floor. With stickers still on the tires... it makes one wonder

Old 10-29-2004 | 08:19 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
actually draging racing has lots of flips, even at speeds of like 50 MPH!. you get some oil on the track and it hits the wall and you can flip. seen it many times. they do not have a roll cage or parachute because i am sure the class they are running doesn't need one. once you reach 11's you have to have a 6 point cage and shoot i believe. the doors do save lots of weight and it very normal to have lexan windows in any and all drag cars. many of then replace all there windows with them. but i think you have to have a window net to keep you in the car if you do, but again not totally sure. from what it says it is not done and was put on the back burner, so they may have not gotten that far, but they should have started there. but it would be nice to see the car out on the track a few times, just the promotion alone would be worth it

Quick Reply: MINIUSA Drag Car Revealed